Sunday, January 13, 2008

Made it to Aix-les-Bains

It was a little tough, with the late train from Germany and two other trains changing tracks 2 minutes before they were scheduled to leave. But now I am here... And as I write this, I am sitting in a room at the Hotel Astoria: where my great grandfather stayed after WWI. In fact, he stayed here in 1919 on January 7th (my future birthday at the time). I'll go into more detail later. I'm going out for dinner and drinks.

Oh, by the way... Twain was right about this place! I opened my balcony door and heard church bells ringing--at 5:47 pm and again at 6:12. Not nearly on the hour! Look up his piece on Aix-les-Bains and you'll know what I'm talking about. Great read regardless. Let's hope he was also right about how well you sleep in spite of all the noise. There is supposed to be something in the air here.

Dinerons!








1 comment:

the 4 said...

sounds like a lovely little town, wask. enjoy it, buddy.