Saturday, January 19, 2008

A few good hikes done

Well, I actually got to walk around a good bit here in Dijon and the surrounding area. I traveled to Saulon and Barges yesterday for a hike in the country. It was sort of what I hoped for. The towns were tiny and consisted of barely more than a church and a few houses. But there were plenty of dogs, and they all made it perfectly clear that I was not to set up permanent residence there. Come to think of it, I don't think I saw any people. I just wandered through the empty streets and between the giant green fields until I had my fill of it, and then waited for my train back to Dijon.

This morning I decided to follow one of the marked routes that are set up for people wishing to see the city on foot. They have little brass triangles stamped into the sidewalk every ten feet showing the way. They led me from the tourist center near my hotel on a route that I had walked many times already. But it was nice, because I got to see a few little nooks and cranies that I had missed. This city really is beautiful. I have plenty of pictures but I can't really upload anything until I get back to Joel's on Wednesday.

So after I ate lunch (sandwich), I opened up the hiking guide and looked for something not too far outside of downtown Dijon. I drank a bottle of wine and headed off to the "Martin pecheur" route which leads to a great garden and then along a river and to Lake Kir. It was about 4 miles all together by the time I made it back to the hotel. I just had dinner at La Concord again. Beef borgognon again and it was absolutely delicious yet again. To top it off, I ordered a very expensive cognac for dessert and savored every sip.

Leaving for Paris tomorrow, so I should pack up a little and get some sleep.

No comments: